Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Side hurt while running and noticed blood in urine. Should I go for medical check up?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12744 Questions
my wife ran in a "mud run" this weekend...tonight she tells me she hurt her side during the run, and has been peeing blood since at least sunday morning. when i asked how much blood, she says it looks like blood when she pees. i told her to go to the eergecy room, but sh doesn't want!?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Blood in the urine can come from any condition that results in infection, inflammation, or injury to the urinary system.
Typically, microscopic hematuria indicates damage to the upper urinary tract (kidneys), while visible blood indicates damage to the lower tract (ureters, bladder, or urethra). But this is not always the case.
The most common causes in people younger than 40 years of age are kidney stones or urinary tract infections.
She needs to consult a urologist for investigation like-
1.Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.
2.Urine routine and cultures with antibiotic sensitivity.
3 Cbc, Renal profile etc
A proper antibiotic treatment and urine alkalizer are needed after the investigations.
Ask her to start taking plenty of fluids and fresh cranberry juice fro symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor