Should thyroid test be done on empty stomach?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I take Thyroid tablets (Thyronorm .5 mg) everyday (prescribed by doctor after blood tests) . I have a sudden weight gain and hence I plan to get my thyroid level checked. I want to know if I should get the test done
1) Empty stomach?
2) should I take my Thyronorm tablet and then get the test done or go without taking the medicine
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Test on Empty Stomach, Take your Meds

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic. When you are going to get a Thyroid Function Profile done, you must be on an empty stomach. If you take any regular medications you must take them with a sip of water, with the EXCEPTION of Diabetes Medication, Insulin etc.

Please make sure you take your Thyronorm tablet that morning like normal. There is no harm in taking it on an empty stomach. In fact it is preferable to take it on an empty stomach on a regular basis.

I hope this helps,

Vinay