Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Should i be concerned about Lumps in the region of solar plexus?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6502 Questions
My husband has a lump as big as a (medium size plum) underneath/ between his solar plxus. He is not in any pain, but he noticed this about a week ago. What doctor should he be seeing and what could that be? Is it something that he should be concerned about seriously? Does he need a scan examination? I.e CT scan or MRI?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Lumps in the region of solar plexus have to be investigated further to know the exact cause behind it and to guide the further course of treatment. If it is arising just below the skin and soft to touch then it is most likely a benign lump containing fat (lipoma). There can also be herniation in the region through which abdominal fat can herniate and cause a lump. The solar plexus as we all know is a network of important nerves in the upper abdomen. It contains further nerves radiating from it which supply the surrounding organs like diaphragm, stomach and spleen. However a lump in the region is less likely to originate from the solar plexus. There are other organs like pancreas, stomach, left lobe of liver, aorta and omentum to name a few. I suggest your husband consults a general surgeon. They will examine him clinically and ask for an ultrasound scan first. For further detailed evaluation a CT scan or MRI scan may be asked (based on availability). It is important to know if the is having any other medical condition or was operated in the region of lump in the past. The appendix surgery is less likely to be causing any lump in the upper abdomen. A basic blood investigation and general physical examination is also to be done. There are many conditions which need to be considered and a surgeon is the best person who can help you with that. Hope your query is answered. Please do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor