Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Should I consult a doctor for swollen bruise on my leg?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14872 Questions
I have a bruise on my leg black and swollen from last week. Now the swelling has gone down but it did but I have hey yellowish tent going from the bruise about 5 inches should I go see a doctor
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: normal progression of blood breakdown Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic When blood breaks down it turns from its normal appearance to sometimes a brown then yellow colour. This is due to the breakdown products of hemoglobin (the protein found in the blood that carries oxygen). Hemoglobin breaks down to form bilirubin which contributes to the yellow tinge you are seeing. It is a normal progression. You can monitor it for the next few days , the skin colour should return to normal in 3 to 5 days. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor