Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

199 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should I be worried about loud wheezing problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 600 Questions
I have adult onset asthma but it is under control. However, I am wheezing more often. It's usually when I'm getting ready for bed in the evenings and when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes the wheezing is so loud it wakes me up. However, I am not having a hard time breathing and my chest doesn't hurt. My peak flow is in the yellow zone. It's not as high as it should be but also not close to a level that would require medical intervention. Should I be worried about loud wheezing if it's really the only symptom?

Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 23 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from adult onset asthma with current increased episodes of wheezing.

2. Wheezing denotes that the asthma is not under control and demands step up of medications. You need to increase the dose of prescribed maintenance inhalers and also use the reliever inhalers as and when you wheeze.

3. Also you should visit a pulmonologist for adjusting you medication doses as per your lung functions and get it explained from him as to how to step up the medication doses. You may require the addition of some oral drugs too.

4. Also its worthwhile to get the annual flu shots and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccination.

5. Thus you need to visit a pulmonologist and get your treatment titrated at present.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist