Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Shaky voice and trouble in talking. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have a very shaky voice and some people have told me that I sound like I'm crying when I speak. I have trouble getting words out too and this is all very embarrassing. People sometimes don't listen to me at all because I am difficult to understand
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ENt specialist, exclude laryngeal cyst or tumor, i

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is very important that you get a good examination by an ENt specialist. It is very important to exclude cyst of the voice box (larynx) or a tumor or the voice box. These are the two main common conditions that could give rise to the symptoms you are experiencing.

An examination to see the larynx, called a laryngoscopy and a fibroscopy can be done. It is important to exclude any history of gastroesophagal reflux disease. Acid reflux with severe irritation of the voice box could also cause these symptoms.

Booking an appointment with an ENT specialist is my advice. Thanks and hope this helps. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have specific concerns.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor