Severe pain upper abdomen and back
Needs to rush to ER; take a PPI like Pantoprazole.
Thanks for your query.
Noted your history, albeit short and specific.
Whenever there is severe pain in upper abdomen accompanied by back pain we have to rule out serious diseases as a cause.
There is a possibility of pancreatitis or gastric ulcer on the posterior wall or pains by some conditions affecting the retro-peritoneal structures such as aorta or so. Occasionally Heart related condition may have similar symptoms. Ulcer perforations also needs to be ruled out.
Hence I would advise you to visit ER as soon as possible so that the clinical evaluation and supportive investigations like tests of blood for pancreatitis, upper GI Endoscopy, high resolution Ultrasonography and color doppler, X-ray of abdomen in standing and laying down position of the abdomen can be done to have a proper diagnosis so that a specific treatment can be started. Stabilization of general condition after clinical evaluation may also be needed.
It is good that you have taken Rolaids, also take a PPI like Pantoprazole or so if you have with you.
I hope this answer helps you in decision making and getting a proper diagnosis asap to get an appropriate management.
Late diagnosis can have more complications.
And if all the investigations come back normal we are happy to rule out serious conditions and have symptomatic treatment as some conditions need prescription based medications also.
Please give feedback.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido?
- Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection?
- Will Tramadol help in having normal stools post colectomy?
- Why am I having severe eye pain and blurry vision after taking...
- What causes stomach pain and blood in stool?
- Can continuos cough be symptoms of whooping cough?
- Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level?
- Suggest treatment for bloating and difficulty in passing urine when...
- Ia it normal to have foot pain post bunion operation?
- What are the different treatment options for uncontrollable bowel...