Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Severe pain and swelling below knee cap. Hurts to touch. What medicine should I take?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 711 Questions
This question belongs to Ortho specialist.
My daughter is 11 years old and feeling severe pain just below the knee cap. She has tenderness and swelling. Pain gets severe on touch.
Our family physician told me that this is growing pain (OSD).
Kindly let me know :-
what madication to be given to reduce the pain?
What should I apply, ice or hot water at the affected area. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I am afraid to comment that this is not growth pain.
Growth pain usually affects the calf regions and is not associated with swelling and tenderness.
Is there any history of trauma to that area?
Is is only localised to one area?.
Is there pain and swelling of other joints as well?
Kindly get an X XXXXXXX of the area. A MRI scan will be fantastic.

Till a diagnosis can be made I would like to suggest..
Give her knees a rest.
Elevate the leg.
Apply ice pack to the local area.
Give her paracetamol tabs 3 times daily for 3 days.
If the problem persists kindly consult an orthopedician.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.Wishing your child a speedy recovery.Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Severe pain and swelling below knee cap. Hurts to touch. What medicine should I take? 14 hours later
I got the xray done 6 months back and also consulted orthopedics. He summarised that it was a growth pain.

No other joint has swelling.
No history of trauma.
It is localised at one area only below the knee cap .

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 20 minutes later
Since the X-rays were done 6 months ago and she has tender and swollen area around the knee, I would like to exclude other pathologies. If you were to be my patient, I would consider getting MRI scan of the affected area.

I suggest you to take an opinion of a pediatric consultant with the reports and to plan MRI scan to understand more about the pathological changes.

In the meanwhile you may apply warm compresses for pain reduction.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor