Several brownish spots appeared in armpit area. What could this be?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have for several months now had several brownish spots underneath my left arm in my armpit area. I noticed today some under the other arm. They are not raised or sore. And they do not itch. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Your history suggests them to be Age Spots which are common in adults after 40, but they have to be ruled out, hence get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out the exact cause.

Kindly don't worry as Age Spots also called Solar Lentigines are harmless and don't need treatment, but for cosmetic purposes they can be lightened by skin bleaching products or can be removed. Speak to your Dermatologist.

Your Doctor shall have you examined physically and order a Biopsy if he/she has a doubt to rule out any serious pathology.

Once confirmed your Doctor may suggest treatment options which include,
1.) Medications
2.) LASER therapy
3.) Dermabrasion
4.) Chemical Peel.

In addition to the treatment, avoid exposure to sun to the maximum, use a sunscreen lotion when you move out in sun. Avoid sun exposure between 10am to 4pm. Drink plenty water and eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Avoid stress.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
If this is just age spots, why are they confined to just my armpits? They started under one arm and are now appearing under the other. I have nothing like this on any other part of my body accept under my arms with one spot being rather large at least 1/2 in length and 1/4 in wide.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The spots of the size you have mentioned might be related to an abnormal growth of melanocytes. Such lesions do need a direct examination by a dermatologist for proper diagnosis. If the lesions are actively increasing in size with an irreguilar margin, a biopsy may be needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.