Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Several brownish spots appeared in armpit area. What could this be?

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13334 Questions

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have for several months now had several brownish spots underneath my left arm in my armpit area. I noticed today some under the other arm. They are not raised or sore. And they do not itch. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your history suggests them to be Age Spots which are common in adults after 40, but they have to be ruled out, hence get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out the exact cause.

Kindly don't worry as Age Spots also called Solar Lentigines are harmless and don't need treatment, but for cosmetic purposes they can be lightened by skin bleaching products or can be removed. Speak to your Dermatologist.

Your Doctor shall have you examined physically and order a Biopsy if he/she has a doubt to rule out any serious pathology.

Once confirmed your Doctor may suggest treatment options which include,
1.) Medications
2.) LASER therapy
3.) Dermabrasion
4.) Chemical Peel.

In addition to the treatment, avoid exposure to sun to the maximum, use a sunscreen lotion when you move out in sun. Avoid sun exposure between 10am to 4pm. Drink plenty water and eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Avoid stress.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
If this is just age spots, why are they confined to just my armpits? They started under one arm and are now appearing under the other. I have nothing like this on any other part of my body accept under my arms with one spot being rather large at least 1/2 in length and 1/4 in wide.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The spots of the size you have mentioned might be related to an abnormal growth of melanocytes. Such lesions do need a direct examination by a dermatologist for proper diagnosis. If the lesions are actively increasing in size with an irreguilar margin, a biopsy may be needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Lentigo

doctor1 MD

I have what I think is a very new spot on my calf. It is completely flat and smooth and only about a millimeter in diameter. There are two other VERY tiny black dots close to it. At first I thought it was somehow a marker mark, but it seems to be...

doctor1 MD

Hey doctor, I had a sexual encounter with an unknown girl 2 weeks ago. And i am really worried about any std i got. I did unprotected sex. She is 38 years old unmarried.since the within 2 days of the sex , i had a feverish feeling with high...

doctor1 MD

Hello I have recently discovered a very small and very dark spot near the head of my penis. It is asymmetrical and almost black, and showed up very quickly. Obviously, the first thing I thought was, "great, now I have penis cancer." I am just...

doctor1 MD

Hi ive had these lumps on my labia with years now and only went about them, 2 years ago, the doctors werent sure so they took some of it off (biopsy)the results were (A portion of the skin is identified demonstrating the presence of focal lentiginous melanocytic hyperplasia and that there was no evidence of anything wrong, can i ask what happens if you get more of these lumps, 1 doctor had a loook the doctor i went to day 1 about it, says i should have it off straight away, the other doctor which i had never delt with and didnt show as he was a male said it should be ok, with this ive been a contant suffer of trush and well my sex life isnt great with this worry of it, have had tests it is trush could this all be