• question-icon

What causes asymmetrical blackish spot near penis head?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello

I have recently discovered a very small and very dark spot near the head of my penis. It is asymmetrical and almost black, and showed up very quickly. Obviously, the first thing I thought was, "great, now I have penis cancer."

I am just wondering what the causes of this could be and if I should be worried about cancer.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern

Genital lentiginosis is quite common. It could be this rather than a cancer (melanoma). Moreover, a quick evolution of a skin lesion within a few days is unlikely to be a sign of cancer/ melanoma.

I request you to kindly upload an image so that i am able to guide you better.

You may upload an image either at Reports Section" Or You may mail me an image at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of this mail as Attention:Dr.kakkar.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Hello

I have just sent an email with several attached images of the dark spot in question.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mucosal lentigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you. I have reviewed the images

I can see a single bluish spot at the junction of glans and prepuce. This is most likely a mucosal lentigo rather than a cancer.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your reply.

What is a "mucosal lentigo"? Should I be worried about that? Will it go away? More information would be very helpful, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
A mucosal lentigo is harmless

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

A mucosal lentigo is just a normal lentigo i.e simple lentigo on skin and is a localised area of increased melanin due to increased number of melanocytes. Genital lentiginosis may happen as a result of trauma/friction or inflammation. It is harmless. It would stay though.
A mucosal melanoma on the other hand, never arises over a short span of time but usually has a history of years of irregular, extensive, macular genital pigmentation which ultimately becomes raised or ulcerates.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
ok that makes me feel better. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us

regards
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist