Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Semen analysis report, prescribed tab Curam. Should i be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
Hi, Just received the following results from my semen test and have no clue what it means:

Gram stain      Gram Positive Cocci
Culture      Group “ D “ streptococcus species grown ( Scanty )

Amoxyclav      +++     Cefuroxime      R
Amoxycillin      +++          
Penicillin      ++          
Ciprofloxacin      +          
Cephalothin      +          
Clarithromycin      R           
Erythromycin      R           

R – Resistant

Should I be worried?
Where does it comes from?
Can i pass it to my wife?

Got the following prescription:
Tab. Curam ( Amoxyclav) 1 gram, twice a day, after meal x 7 days

Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 38 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

There is some amount of infection in your semen as shown in the reports.
For the same your doctor has prescribed you the indicated antibiotic as per your report of culture and sensitivity.
The strain you have is streprococcus group D which is also called as Enterococcus fecalis.
It is not known to be very virulent strain so presently I think you need not worry much.
The bacteria is found even on the human body on skin and some times it is comes if a person has chronic infection in urine.
Yes when you have sex you can transfer the bacteria to your wife;but whether she will suffer any infection ;well it will depend on her immunity.
Presently as a precaution I would suggest you to abstain from having sex till you finish the course of antibiotics.
After that you need not worry.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor