Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Ruptured ear drum. Is it okay to play football?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14666 Questions
My son has a ruptured ear drum, is it ok to play high school footbal with this injury?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

Yes you can play sports with a ruptured ear drum, it normally heals on its own after a few weeks,in some cases up to 2 months. Try not to let anything enter into the ear while playing.

Uncomplicated tympanic membrane perforation usually requires no treatment. They tend to remain stable and only reperforate in 10% of patients.

Medical therapy is usually aimed at controlling any drainage present. Though toxicity from eardrops has not been demonstrated unequivocally, the use of systemic antibiotics is preferred if necessary.

Any complications from the perforation , such as hearing loss is usually temporary.

In rare cases other complications can occur such as long term hearing loss, spread of infection to the bone, dizziness.

I hope this information is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor