Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Reduced sense of smell, post nasal drip. Citrobacter koseri found in nasal swab test. Taking Sulfamethoxazole. Should I worry about transmitting the infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5135 Questions
for the past 3 years I can't smell(every great once in whileI can) and frequently feel like I was punched in the nose. I have post nasal drip. My ent took a nasal swab. Results came back 2+ citrobacter koseri. what is this and how did I get it. do I need to worry abount being around my pregnant daughter and a baby or my 86 year old mom. ENT prescribed sulfameth/trimethoprim. He too had not heard of citrobacter koseri.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query.

It is possible you have rhinitis or inflammation of nose which can be caused by various causes. Certain bacteria like Citrobacter are usually normally present in the nose. Nasal tissue gets infected with this bacteria repeatedly and can cause problems like lack of smell, blocked nose.

This infection is known to spread from mother to the unborn baby and can cause complications. Kindly try to avoid close contact with your pregnant daughter as much as possible until the infection is eradicated by successful treatment with systemic antibiotics like Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Do continue and be done with the complete antibiotic course and get a nasal swab done after that to confirm eradication.

You may attempt steam inhalation to clear sinuses which may be infected causing post nasal drip.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor