Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Red itchy skin, scales on trunk area, white spots near rectum. Is this condition psoriasis ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
i think i have psoriasis.. i have red itchy skin that produces scales on my trunk area where my skin makes contact with a chair... i also have white spots in and around the outside of my rectum which is also very itchy. is this psoriasis? i have had this condition for over a year and has really become very bothersome what do you suggest?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Psoriasis
Follow-up: Red itchy skin, scales on trunk area, white spots near rectum. Is this condition psoriasis ? 1 hour later
Also i wanted to mention that i have tried some home remedies such as some over the counter psoriasis medications they helped a little but the condition never fully goe's away.
Follow-up: Red itchy skin, scales on trunk area, white spots near rectum. Is this condition psoriasis ? 1 hour later
Wheres my answer?????????
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the information you have submitted it certainly seems likely that we are dealing with a case of psoriasis here. Of course it is very difficult for me to make that determination in the absence of being able to examine you. Perhaps you could send a picture of a typical lesion on your body to my attention at the following e-mail address.

Regarding psoriasis there are several prescription medications which have been proven to be successful in treating this condition. Some of these medications are in a topical form and typically have a mild degree of steroid content. The steroid content decreases the level of inflammation and can lead to a significant degree of improvement. There are also immunomodulatory creams as well. These are certainly something which you must obtain by a licensed physician and typically by a licensed dermatologist.

In addition for patients were having severe symptoms there are some intravenous medications which can be used on a periodic basis to control the psoriasis.

Also many patients have experienced a significant degree of improvement from using a tanning bed. Some patients will use a tanning bed once or twice per week for 15 min. or so in order to help control the disease. Of course with using a tanning bed this can also raise the likelihood that the patient may develop a skin cancer. This is something which has to be considered in talking about the possibility of using ultraviolet light therapy in a tanning bed.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I can sympathize with the fact that you're dealing with something that is quite frustrating. I hope my answer has provided you with some good considerations and information. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red itchy skin, scales on trunk area, white spots near rectum. Is this condition psoriasis ? 50 minutes later
So do you suggest i go and see my regular doctor or should i go to a dermatologist?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 48 minutes later
Hello again,

It depends on your insurance coverage. The usual course of events would be to see your primary physician for a focused consultation. He could possibly start you on a topical cream and then if the results are not acceptable a dermatology referral would be indicated.

Thanks again for the query and followup. I am here for you if you have any additional concerns.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor