Red, cracked and sore tongue. Got bronchitis. What should I do to get relief?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: tongue is cracked down the middle, red and irritated with white specks. takes up about 1/3 of my tongue. stings all the time, can not eat most foods. has been this way for a week. also coming down off of bronchitis. no canker sores.
almost completed a full bottle of antibiotics. sore tongue began before bronchitis.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later

I appreciate you for sharing your reports with us,

I have gone through your history and the image you have attached carefully. It seems like you are having 'Glossitis'. This may occur sometimes with prolonged antibiotic use. Symptoms like redness, burning sensation are commonly present. It is nothing to be concerned about. It is a temporary condition and will resolve in a few weeks.

Kindly take care of your diet and avoid hot and spicy foods for a while. Meanwhile, visit a physician who might prescribe you multivitamins which will hasten the healing of your tongue. Supplements of Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin C and Zinc would accelerate the healing.

I hope this answer was useful. If you have further queries, kindly write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
I have attached another photo, as it seems a little worse tonight. And with a flashlight, I can see raised bumps on the back of my tongue. Does this still seem like glossitis?
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

I have gone through your reports, therefore I can assure you it is nothing to worry about. The raised bumps at the back of the tongue are normal, these are called papillae or taste buds.

The red patch on your tongue will heal with time, just stay calm.

A normal healing mechanism of our body will take time to resolve glossitis.

Kindly see your concerned physician.

I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E