Pregnant, having increased body temperature and heart rate. Is this normal?

Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 20 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello I am 30 weeks pregnant and I have an increased body temp of 99.8 and my heart rate is ranging from 92-110bpm. Is this normal?!
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Heart rate increases in pregnancy. It is normal for the heart rate to increase by 15 to 20 beats above the normal range for a individual during pregnancy. This increase is because of the increased metabolic demand during pregnancy.

Normally the heart rate can be around 90 beats per minute during pregnancy. It can go even up to 100 beats per minute. If your heart rate is higher than this it could be because of various causes like anemia, stress, physical work like walking etc.

So if you think your heart beat has increased by more than 10 to 20 beats above your base line please consult your doctor.

Normal body temperature is 98.6 degree F plus or minus 0.9. So in a normal individual even 99 degree F is normal if he does not have any other complaints. Normal body temperature during pregnancy is on the higher side. This is because of the increased metabolism during pregnancy.

So if you do not have any other complaints that body temperature could be normal.

Hope I answered your query.