Pregnant. Suggested for test. Safe for mother and baby?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Dear Doctor,

My wife is a pregnant and as on today 8 weeks 3 days old.

The doctor suggested her to go for the attached test after 11 weeks but before 13 weeks of pregnancy.

can you please advise if this is required and why ?? any side effects you foresee either to mother or to kid due to undergoing the test.

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing here.

Antenatal examination and regular checkups is part of regular obstetric management. Routine examination and investigations - blood checks and ultrasound scans are planned at specific periods during pregnancy.

Accordingly at around 10-12 weeks, the nuchal cord thickness (NT) as well as Down’s syndrome (which is the most common chromosomal abnormality) is checked by scans and blood test respectively. Nuchal cord is checked by ultrasound scan. Down syndrome is screened by blood tests - alpha fetoprotein, beta hcG and estrodiol level. The results of these tests will inform us about the well being of your baby.

Since this is a routine check up, you need not be worried yet. Go ahead with the test as planned. You can update me about the results and we can discuss further.

I would prefer that you do this test before 12 weeks as to plan the next step of management well.

Good luck!!