Possible damage if knee is swollen, has indentation and unable to take weight?

Posted on Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in General Health
Question: My right knee is swollen and I cannot put any weight on it. It also has a slight indentation in it. Is it possibly damaged.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Trauma, infection or autoimmune disease suspected Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your queries on HealthcareMagic. Swollen knee joint and inability to bear weight suggests some kind of pathology in the joint. Is there history of fall or trauma to the joint? Trauma is the most common cause of knee injury. Other causes include infection, inflammation, autoimmune diseases etc. A couple of investigations are needed to find the cause of these symptoms. A X-ray and /or MRI of the joint will tell about whether there is fluid accumulation in the joint and the state of surrounding soft tissues. The swelling can be due to fluid accumulation. The fluid can be aspirated by performing arthroscopy. Fluid examination can determine the cause of swelling. You need to consult your orthopedician for clinical examination, investigations and further management. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist