Suggest treatment for swollen knee

Posted on Thu, 4 May 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: The area (maybe the muscle?) above my right knee suddenly swelled up big yesterday.
I could barely sleep with the pain and cannot really stand up on it at all without extreme pain...
I've tried applying Icy Hot and Polysporin (?) and they haven't helped at all! :-(
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
clinical assessment is required

Detailed Answer:

the information is not enough to determine the diagnosis. It could be a hematoma (bleeding in the tissues) or a swollen knee joint capsule. If it's in the back of the knee then it could be a Baker's cyst. Clinical examination (and perhaps fluid aspiration if there's any) would help to determine the diagnosis. Either an orthopedics specialist or your primary care physician can do that.

Until then you can try to apply ice packs (not directly on the skin - wrap them with a towel) and perhaps use some painkillers starting with paracetamol (acetaminophen) and advancing to NSAID if paracetamol is not enough and there's no contraindication for NSAID.

I hope it helps!
Kind regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 32 minutes later
No question...just a very big: 'THANK YOU VERY MUCH, DOCTOR!"

(I'm calling my regular doctor today for an appointment...:-)
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You're very welcome, glad to help!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis