Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Pimple on forehead, swelling, redness, hard. Taking antibiotics. Where should I go?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10437 Questions
about two weeks ago I had a "bruise" pimple on my forehead. I woke up last Saturday with my whole forehead swollen and filled with fluid. Saw a doctor they put me on cephlax and told me hot compresses. Since then the swelling from my forehead has moved down through my eyes and has passed. My general dr. lanced it on Mon. and barley got anything out but still had it cultured. It is now over my left eye about the size of your index finger to my knuckle. It is super hard also and red. I am still on antibiotics and saw a dermatologist and she tried to cut into it also and got a little puss out too but not much. My results came back from general doc negative but he said it could be because I was already on antibiotics for 2 days and it was a small sample. I am a little baffled and it is painful on my forehead. It is a linear finger length and width size. It is red and very hard . I was told to keep doing the hot compresses 6x/day 10 min or more and come back on monday to see if it loosens up. I really am not sure where I should be going with this? Any suggestions Michele
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that you have got your gland or a hair follicle infected.
Since your dermatologist has already tried to drain the pus, it seems that the swelling you are having is due to the inflammation. You are already taking the antibiotics and doing a hot fomentation.
In addition, you can start taking an anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen thrice daily after consulting with your physician. Adding a combination of trypsin- chymotrypsin or serratiopeptidase will also help in reducing the swelling.
You can follow up with your dermatologist as advised.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor