Pathology report of lesion showed squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma. Side effect from sun exposure?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello, I have a pathology report that shows the results of two lesions taken from my face, One is "squamous cell carcinoma, and the other is XXXXXXX effect the protected area of my face ? Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

The Basal cell carcinoma is also known as Rodent Ulcer and Sqamous cell carcinoma both are nonmelanoma skin cancer. Both of them may start due to excessive UVL exposure. I do not think exposure of arms and legs to sun can affect the protected area of your face.

But I will strongly advise you to avoid sunbathings and UVL exposure. Both of the conditions you have are treatable by surgery and radiotherapy. The mortality rate if untreated is 0.3%.

Kindest regards Dr.S.K.Mukherjee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee

Pediatrician