Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful lump appeared under chin after pulling out teeth. Are they related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My 10 y/o daughter has an olive to walnut size lump under lt side of chin. She says it started hurting about 2 days ago. She has had a loose tooth just lt of center on lower jaw for past 4-5 days and I have been giving ibuprofen off and on for same time period. She pulled her own tooth out last evening. Figure this is all related, but wondering if she ought to see dr for confirmation and possible abx?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 48 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Yes your daughter could be suffering from a dental abscess or soft tissue inflammation surrounding the broken tooth.Sometimes the oral mucosa can get inflamed and irritated due to dental causes and develop a papule or ulcer which can be painful too.
Though mild inflammation can resolve on its own in a week , any infection if present would not and infact it will worsen with time.
The fact that there is visible swelling or lump along with pain and tenderness does make it necessary for getting her evaluated by her dentist or pediatrician . The doctor after confirming the diagnosis might start appropriate antibiotics and antiinflammatory analgesics ( acetaminophen or ibuprofen ).
Meanwhile she should avoid handling the area or pressing it frequently , maintain adequate oral hygiene & take an analgesic like acetaminophen if pain or discomfort is more.Warm saline gargles thrice daily should help in faster healing.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor