Pain with tingling and numbness in leg. What could be causing this?

Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Question: After a period of suffering a type of numbness every time I got to my feet, for the last month or so it has got worse with a pain in my right leg that starts at the buttock and goes all the way down to my foot. It is difficult to describe exactly what I feel, a combination of pins and and needles, tingling, numbness and throbbing but it is all very unpleasant and invariably occurs after i have been sitting, not while I am sitting. I have taken exercise all my life, usually playing football and running but lately my running has been reduced to little more than 20-minute jogs though that that is more than i did during a previous 4-month spell when I decided on complete rest after experiencing a different pain or injury every time I ventured out. Even though I am now 65, I am disappointed to have been forced into slowing down so much because three years ago I was running the fastest times over 3 miles that I had run for years.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 57 minutes later

Pain with tingling and numbness in right leg may be due to pinching of the nerve in the spine. With increasing age, changes happen in the spine. It causes the stenosis of the spinal canal and also compromise the space for the nerves. I would suggest to get examined by a spine specialist and you may need spine X rays and MRI. Depending upon the findings the treatment is usually decided. In case of mild stenosis pain medicine, and if needed pain lock can be tried. In severe stenosis, surgical intervention may be required.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan