Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Pain in the joints. Suffering from emphysema. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10031 Questions
My father is 71 years old and has emphasyma. (and is currently under treatment for it) he goes to the dr regularly and was just there last week. Had bloodworm & everything came back fine. He has been in terrible pain the last few days. Everything hurts him, every joint, every limb, neck head arms everything hurts him. No fever. Every 6 weeks or so this starts up, lasts a week or 3 and then vanishes? What could it be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Generalised pain and aches in the body is mostly due to a muscle or bone related pain. The commonest cause at your father's age is calcium and Vitamin D3 deficiency which causes an age related osteoporosis.
This can also be associated with a generalized viral infection which is not always associated with fever.
For a temporary relief, taking over the counter analgesics and hot fomentation of the affected area will be helpful. Calcium supplements are also recommended to combat osteoporosis.
If the pain is persistent then he needs to get a proper evaluation done to rule out other causes like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor