Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Overweight. Getting metallic smell from urine. Diagnosed with sacroiliitis. Required treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I'm 45 an since beginning of january my urine and bowel movements have a very metallic/rusty smell. I don't take any medication or supplements. I'm overweight (5'8" 195lbs) but very active, playing tennis 3x/week. The only medical change is that I was diagnosed with sacroiliitis in december and had a pain injection and physical therapy. my sac joint/low left back/hip continue to hurt daily... no other symptoms that I can think of.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
It shall be necessary for you to do a complete urine analysis, culture and urine electrolytes. This is important in excluding any urinary infection or excess secretion or excretion of particular ions. Doing a fasting blood sugar, considering the fact that you are overweight, and its off course a risk factor is also very important. Any recent changes in your diet might also be important to be noted.
I suggest you continue with you efforts in doing exercise. Losing weight on its own will certainly decrease the intensity of pain you feel. I suggest an erythrocyte sedimentation rate and a rheumatologic work up be done to exclude any rheumatologic disease. X rays and scans could be important in ascertaining the integrity of the bony or skeletal system. Booking an appointment with the rheumatologist for a complete evaluation could be important. Meanwhile, continue with exercise, eat more fruits and vegetables, more fibres, reduce amount of saturated fat, decrease salt intake and drink a lot of water. Simple analgesics in case of increased pain might be of help as you wait to see the physician.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor