On antibiotic for UTI. Passing large blood clot with urine. What are the complication?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My husband is being treated for a uti for over three yrs now he has been on a lot of diffent antibiotics over the years which has me very worried! He has urinated blood from time to time ... Now he just urinated and he passed 4 large blood clots and a lot of blood.? What should we do he just called the drs (after hours) and they want him to go to the er??
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I advice you to visit the ER as the cause of blood in the urine should be detected and addressed.

Blood in the urine can come from any condition that results in infection, inflammation, or injury to the urinary system.

As you have mentioned blood clot it might be from bladder or lower down but it is not possible to confirm without examination and investigation. I advice you to consult the doctor immediately for thorough examination and to find the cause of blood in the urine.

Urine analysis and culture can be done to find the possibility of infection. Cystoscopy to visualize the bladder, prostate (in men), and ureters.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.