On anti seizure medicine. Noticed bumps on penis tip. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Question: The skin around the tip of my penis is raised similiar to the look of colliflower. It is something comes and goes and is tender at times. I also take anti siezure medicine (Generic of Keppra) due to previous brain surgeries. I sometimes deal with drepression, especially in the morning. I take an anti seizure medicine (Generic of Keppra) and the medicine warns that this is a side effect. I don't always feel this way but it is something that comes and goes but can be overwhelming times. Is this something I juts have to live wiht or can I do anything to help offset these swings.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your symptoms appear to be indicative of viral warts. This typically presents with cauliflower-like bumps which are painful and keep coming and going. This may or may not be sexually acquired. Treatment is with anti-viral creams, but it is difficult to eradicate it completely. If it is causing you too much of a problem, then you have to consider definitive procedures like laser ablation or chemical cauterization.

Keppra is the brand name of an anti-epileptic medication called Levetiracetam. Now, though many anti-epileptic medication can cause side effects like impairment in concentration, emotional blunting, lethargy, etc., still it is unlikely that the medication could be causing you episodes of depression. It would be interesting to note that most anti-epileptic, including Leviteracetam, have mood stabilizing properties, and some of them (like sodium valproate, carbamazepine) are used as mood stabilizers in psychiatric disorders.

So, from the description of your depressive episodes, I think that it is not due to Keppra. I feel that you need a detailed psychological assessment to look into this problem and you don't have to be helplessly dealing with your depression. Effective treatment options - in the form of anti-depressant medication as well as psychological therapies are available. There is also an option of changing your anti-epileptic to another one which can be used as a mood-stabilizer also. So, I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and planning further management of your depression.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist