Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Noticed swollen raised bruise on bottom sternum, slightly painful to touch. Safe remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6248 Questions
I have just noticed a swollen or raised bruise on the bottom sternum not associated with any trama I can remember. It is slightly paineful to the touch. What isit???
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 14 minutes later
Thanks for the query.
Sternum is a common site for development of keloids. (thickened skin )
Usually it is associated with trauma but sometimes it can just appear on its own.
Kindly upload a photograph of the lesion, this will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed swollen raised bruise on bottom sternum, slightly painful to touch. Safe remedy? 59 minutes later
I don't have a camera and I am traveling. Kike I said in my question, I have no trana to the site and is not getting better. It is redded/purpleish and raised, the size is about 2.5" and raised, like a lump. moderately to slightly to the touch and exactly in the center botton of my sternam. I hope that helps. I did see on other sites that it could be indicative of strenam cancer and that got me concerned, especialy since the aklso associate it with liver disease.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
thanks for the excellent description. Dont worry it is not sternal cancer, as that will present with diffuse infiltration of skin and not as a single nodule. In hep c bluish lesions called as lichen planus are common but these lesions are present on extremities and are more itchy than painful and have no progression to malignancy.
So for now you dont need to worry at all.
When you get time, either you XXXXXXX a dermatologist, or send me a photograph .
Wishing you good health.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor