Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Noticed swollen and hurting veins near bladder. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
hello my XXXXXXX veins near my bladder really hurts and its swollen
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Swelling and tenderness of superficial veins are usually seen in thrombophlebitis ie inflammation of the veins. The reason could be localized injury, infection, stasis , blockage or more serious illnesses like blood or liver disorders.
You haven't mentioned the details of the onset, duration and progress of the problem , or any associated symptoms like fever ,any medications etc , which could help me in narrowing down the possibilities .
The best way to get a confirmed diagnosis is to get it physically examined by your doctor or preferably a surgeon who might after examination conclude the exact diagnosis and start treatment accordingly or order further investigations like ultrasound abdomen etc.
Assuming you have no associated symptoms and just recently noticed thickening or swelling and painful veins the probability of it being a minor localized thrombophlebitis is more and application of local anti thrombotic medications like ( hirudoid or thrombophobe ointment etc) may relieve the pain and swelling .
However if you have any abdominal pain , urinary symtoms , past or recent medical illnesses then its best to get it evaluated by your doctor right away .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed swollen and hurting veins near bladder. What is going on? 1 hour later
thank you for your answer iv'e been to the doctor a lot of times but they won't do any thing and this has been happening for a year
and a few months
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
I assume you have been carefully examined by your doctor and any serious cause of the the dilated engorged veins have been ruled out .
Since its a long standing condition it's advisable you consult a specialist ie a general or vascular surgeon who might further probe into the matter , investigate it for example by venous Doppler ultrasound etc and come to the exact conclusion. You may apply warm water bag fomentation to improve the local circulation and some temporary relief. For the pain and swelling antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen taken thrice daily might also provide temporary relief . Buy without the exact diagnosis a curative treatment can't be recommended.
So do consult a doctor and get investigated as advised.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my reply if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor