Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Noticed red ring around penis head and itchy pimple around abdomen and hip. Herpes negative

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
A few months ago had a bloody red ring around my penis, right where the head meets the shaft. Along with that, I had breakout of itchy pimple like clusters around my abdomen, hips, and butt. These looked like pimples, and they itched, broke open and bled if i itched them too much. I thought it was herpes (HSV) - but I was tested and it came back negative. Does anyone know what that could be?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcarecaremagic forum.

Do you have itching at penile pathology?
Is there any accumulated white discharge at affected penis area, which on removal showed blood?
Do you have any fever episode?
At what time duration, this itching is severe? whether night times or whole day.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of fungal infection at head-shaft junction and scabies caused by mite.
Kindly attach the picture of affected site, if possible.

There appears to be least possibility of herpes infection as you have already defined.

Fungal infection at defined site is generally caused by normal commensal fungus "Candida Albicans".
This fungus gets proliferated when there is breech in immune system.
Body has normal protective mechanism to prevent proliferation of candida albicans.
Frequent wash with water with application wash predispose for fungus proliferation by removing protective mechanism.

Scabies is caused by a mite called as Sarcoptes scabiei which burrows in skin near hair follicles and may cause severe itching with pimple like small papule formation.
This generally involves area of the hands, feet, wrists, elbows, back, buttocks, and external genitals.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for KOH mount preparation of scrapings from affected penis area.
You should apply Terbinafine ointment at penis affected area.
For pimple like lesion at other areas, you should apply permethrin lotion.
You should also use permethrin soap, if available.
You should wash your clothes in warm water and get dry in sun light.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other queries.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed red ring around penis head and itchy pimple around abdomen and hip. Herpes negative 44 minutes later
I thought it was herpes and that's what I got tested for, now that it is negative I am trying to figure out what it was. It was a few weeks ago so the symptoms are gone.

Again - all I had was a bloody ring where the shaft meets the head of the penis, and then pimple-like clusters all over my lower abdomen (butt, below the belly button, and hips). Could it be a yeast infection? I get conflicting reports of what it could have been - but people are ruling out STD's.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later
Yeast / fungal infection/ Candida albicans are the same thing.
Defined affected penis area is prone for opportunistic fungal infection.
Exact diagnosis could be made by examination.
If your sex partner has such type of lesion, then possibility of STDs should be kept in mind.
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor