Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Noticed movable lump above collarbone. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
Hi I have a small lump on the right side of my neck just above my collarbone its movable but does not hurt. What could it be I also get a pain just below my right ribcage when I ejaculate.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in
I have read your mail with diligence.
Standard procedure in dealing with lump near neck is to find out its histopathology and remove it if it is indicated. I would urge to show to your general practitioner; consultation ought to be urgent if the lump meets the following situations:
1. Recently detected and you are sure it was not there before and it is growing.
2. There is pain when this is pressed by you
3. There is redness over the lump as compared to skin surrounding it.
4. There is throbbing sensation in it or there is ulceration over the lump.
5. Lump hinders the movement of neck or shoulder.

Doctor would examine you thoroughly and do some tests before giving a final advice. The causes of the lump may be cyst, enlarged lymph nodes, torn muscle fibers. Treatment can be planned once the diagnosis is established.

Now about the rib cage pain, the can be explained once you answer the queries:
1. What is your weight and height?
2. How many times you ejaculate per day?
3. Any other problem other the pain?
4. Is it always with ejaculation or occur other time also?

I hope that answers your question. I will be happy to answer the follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed movable lump above collarbone. What could it be? 47 minutes later
I do get the pain during ejaculation. I ejaculate once a day. I'm 13.5 stone 6ft 4 in height. Sometimes the pain can occur when im sweeping with a brush or when I need to go toilet the next morning after a night of drinking. That is the only time it annoys me sometimes it might not even occur during ejaculation. I have the lump nearly 6 months and it has not got bigger in size. There is no pain at all. There no redness either you can't notice it until i feel my neck. It doesn't hinder any movement its a small hard lump that i can move when i touch it. I went to the doctor 5months ago he said it was a lymph node but its still the same size as it was back then. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 20 minutes later
Hello and thanks again for the query
First of all about the lump. If it is not bothering you than need nor to worry. But if you are keen to know about it than you can consult your doctor and go for Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) test. This will help you to know about cause of the lump.

The pain under the rib cage need some investigation like sonography of abdomen, urine examination. Reason for the pain may be muscular spasm, Renal stones, Gall stones or inflammation of the digestive tract. It is better to consult your physician and go for certain investigation and get treated according to the cause.

Hope you got your answer.


Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor