Noticed flat red bruise at the base of finger. What could this be?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I just noticed yesterday a small round flat bruise at the base of my left ring finger. It is reddish brown in color. I don't notice any other bruising and I was wondering what this is? A couple of months ago I noticed two of these types of bruises on my right arm. They disappeared after a few days.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Easy bruising can be for many causes such as
- Platelet disorders of counts like thrombocytopenia,
- Disorders of function like Glanzman syndrome where platelets are lazy i.e. normal in number but slow to clumping and degranulation.
- Deranged Prothrombin time (PT) /activated Partial Thromboplastin time (aPTT) secondary to many causes including iatrogenic cause by taking warfarin for cardiac arrhythmias
- And lax and fragile skin secondary to senile atrophy of dermis and reduced connective tissue supportive parenchyma and as a result of treatment with steroids.

So I believe getting your blood counts repeated along with Capillary fragility test can be helpful to detect bleeding tendency.
Discuss about these possibilities with your treating physician and he/she can stream line these tests for you. You also may start with Vitamin C and Vitamin A supplements to improve skin texture and reduce easy bruising.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.