Noticed change in lip color. Could it be due to drinking alcohol?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: My lips are changing colour . i think its due to alcohol. How do I treat red lips from alcohol drinking ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Hi there.
I take it you are of the female sex maam & as such, might i suggest camoflauge using lip gloss/shades to help mask the colour change. Usually, this occurs in smokers' not so much as a result of alcohol consumption. Please do hydrate yourself well after drinking alcohol daily..this may help greatly in the long run..2 glasses of water bedtime & when awakening. Use a neutrogena lip balm with SPF15 during the day time to limit photodamage. Also be vigilant if any medications et al are contributory or co-conspirators in this lip colour change or less oxygenation for some reason. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD