Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed boils in mouth after chewing tobacco. Having swollen cheeks. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1957 Questions
I have quit chewing tobacco. It has been 6 days now. First two days were fine but after that i started getting boils in my mouth. One has become big and painful and my left cheek from outside looks swollen. Is there anything to worry. What should i do?
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ulcerations, bacterial and viral infections. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to the XXXXXXX Forum, Its very nice to hear that you have quit with the tobacco chewing habit. I would like to ask you for how long you had the habit? The contents of tobacco are most potent carcinogens, this causes mucosal fibrosis which will cause difficulty in opening of the mouth, it can present from a simple ulcer to a beningn lesion. This is confirmed by a biopsy report. I would suggest you to consult to an Oral Surgeon immediately and get the checkup done. An OPG radiograph and an Biopsy report is required. Treatment depend upon the type of lesion this could be a simple ulcerations or allergic reaction, could also be due to bacterial and viral infection. At home take light and easily swallowing food like semisolid, avoid hot and spicy foodstuffs. I would encourage you to completely stop tobacco chewing habit. Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses. Apply topical analgesics and anesthetic cream over the affected area. Start with the course of multivitamin suplements. Hope you find this as informative and helpful. If you have any further queries i will be glad to answer. Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor