Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Noticed an infection on the feet and sore toes. Treating with neosporin. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
my 33 yr old son discovered an infection on the ball of his feet a pitting of the skin and toes ,also now some raw weeping round sores size of a dime on toes. no itching , does not appear to be athletes foot . He was in a public shower without flipp flops 2 weeks ago . Could this be bacterial or fungal . Im treating with bacterial foot washes and neosporin ointmen and, also will try silver cream for infections. thanks for any advice you can give me. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bacterial infection of the feet: Need for antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your son's skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. From the description that you have provided, it looks like your son has developed a bacterial infection of the feet. As you have told, such infections can happen on walking barefoot. Keep the affected feet clean and dry. You are already using antiseptic washes which should be continued. After washing and drying, apply an antibiotic cream twice. You can either continue to use neosporin or start something like mupirocin. Do not apply any other oils or creams over the affected area. Wear open footwear till the infection heals up. If inspite of the above treatment for two to three days, the lesions persist or tend to increase, it means that the feet are moving towards cellulitis. In that case, oral antibiotics are a must. For that you will have to see a dermatologist or a physician. Also it would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page . You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. This will help in confirmation of the diagnosis. Hope it helps, If you have any other query, please let me know, Dr Geetika Paul.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor