Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Nose injury, MRI normal, slurred speech and nausea. Coughing excessively.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 146 Questions
My child was hit in the nose at basketball game. She can understand but can only say yes and no. Mri is fine. After game she could talk. Within a couple of hours speech was slurred and she was nauseous. She also started coughing excessively after the game.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A hit on the nose or the face can cause all these symptoms due to a concussion in the brain or rarely may be due to associated cervical injury.
If all the symptoms are improving over a period of time or have recovered, you can continue with present medications.
If symptoms still persist, I would suggest that a magnetic resonance imaging scan (MRI scan) of the brain and cervical spine be done to look for any delayed complications of injury.
I hope you found this information useful.
I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.
Dr Praveen K Nath XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor