Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

No hair growth on face and chest. What is the solution other than hair implant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Hi, I am in my mid-thirties and am unable to grow facial hair or hair on my chest. While it isn't medically serious, it is quite embarrassing. Is there a solution other than hair implants?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Undergo tests to diagnose exact cause Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Poor hair growth can be due to either, a chronic thyroid disorder; abnormalities of hair follicles; or, a hormonal imbalance (low male hormone with or without elevated levels of female hormones). If there are associated feminizing features or atrophy of testes, a genetic condition (chromosomal abnormalities) should be evaluated for. You should undergo thorough evaluation including blood hormonal study, tests for thyroid; functional status of other hormone-producing glands; analysis of hair follicles and,- if indications of a possible genetic aberration are there- karyotyping study should be a logical course of action. Tests will reveal the exact cause of your problem. If the diagnosed disease is curable, appropriate treatment will lead to normal hair growth. It would therefore be an exercise in futility, if hair-growth promoting drugs/lotions are used without reaching to a definite diagnosis. I would therefore discourage you from using any over-the- counter drug. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor