Need advice on plan-a and plan-b pills. How safe it is?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Hi,
I need advice on plan-A and plan-b pills( Before / After pills). When it needs to be taken? brand name and amount needs to be taken? I and my partner gets to XXXXXXX once in a month as we living in different city.
I heard non hormonal pills are best. Is it true? Where we can get it? how safe it is? Can we trust it?
As of now, we use condom , and we want to do it with out condom.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 41 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, Plan – A and Plan – B pills both contain levonogestrel. It is basically an emergency contraceptive pill.

You should take it within 24 hours of intercourse for best result. But, you can take it up to 72 hours after intercourse.

Here, I cannot tell you any particular name of the drug. One tablet to be taken once.

Non hormonal pills are not recommended as there is no study to prove their reliability. On the contrary, this pill containing levonorgestrel is very effective, when it is taken within 24 hours.It is proved in several studies.

Though the nonhormonal agents have lower side effects compared to this pill, depending upon the efficacy, and reliability, they are not recommended.

Look, keeping side effects in mind, condom is the best contraceptive methods. But, if you do not want to use condom, then you should take the pill within 24 hours of intercourse. But, regular use of this pill is not recommended.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.