My sister recently had a mild stroke. The tests showed

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My sister recently had a mild stroke. The tests showed she had a blood clot on the brain that the doctor said caused a bruise on the brain. I’m not understanding exactly what they mean. She is going back for more tests next week. They are going to do an ultrasound of her carotid artery and do an echocardiogram of her heart. She had no permanent damage from the stroke except extreme fatigue. How long does it typically take to recover from this type of stroke? The doctor put her on plavix and aspirin as a preventative. Is she in danger of having another stroke? We’ve been very concerned for her. She’s never had a serious health problem before. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed information below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern for her health and I would like to tell you that 80’s is a quite fragile age group and she is lucky that she didn’t had any permanent damage from the stroke.

Yes when a blood clot dislodge from somewhere in the blood and travel all the way up to the arteries in the brain it causes stroke as the size of the vessels are quite narrow and the clot get stuck in that there by imparing the blood supply beyond that.

Yes carotid artery scan is done to understand the origin of the clot.

Yes there are chances of having another in future but with proper medical care these chances will be significantly reduced.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng