My mother is 78 and the doctor said her BNP
Probably high level of BNP in your mother case can be related to the Afib episode.
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
I understand your concern.
BNP test is a blood test that measures levels of a protein called BPN that is made by your heart and blood vessels.
The increase of BNP levels is related to heart failure.
BNP levels rise during an afib episode.
So, the rising of BNP level in your mother case can be related to the Afib episode.
The BNP normal range is between 100 pg/ml and 400 pg/ml.
So, the level of BNP in your mother case is higher than normal.
This indicates a higher risk of heart failure.
I would recommend regular check ups of the heart condition.
I suggest to do a regular EKG and measure frequently the blood pressure.
If your mother develops further symptoms you should consult a cardiologist for further evaluation.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of excessive sweating resulting in the feeling of been...
- What can cause itching and welts on the upper abdomen?
- How to treat itching of the skin with small scabs on hands and arms?
- What type of exercises are advisable for a patient with high blood...
- What causes severe pelvic pain after engaging in sexual intercourse?
- Can Simvastatin cause side-effects after being on it for 4 years?
- What do abdominal pain with difficulty urinating indicate?
- Does mold causes heart palpitation and hot flashes?
- Can Ketamine help treat chronic depression in an elderly person?
- How can itchy rashes on the stomach be treated despite using Lotrix lotion?