Multiple cyst found in breast. Experiencing pain and nausea. Do I need needle aspiration biopsy?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi my father died of leiomyosarcoma and my mother has had multipe thyroid tumors and cancers. I have had a mammogram and ultrasound identifying multiple cysts in the right breast running from 7 oclock through into the axillary tail. (over 8 cysts with a dominant at 9 oclock 2.5cm).Mammogram on this breast indicates breast tissue thickening with very dense breasts noted bilaterally. Left breast presents a hypoechoic mass of 1.5cm and an adjacent cyst.
Right side I have been experiencing (post cycle) a stinging pain from the dominant cyst area but also have a point along my collarbone that makes me nauseous to touch. (no apparent swelling or lumps).
Should I accept the comment of "normal or demand a needle aspiration biopsy of the right and excision of the left lump.
Dominant cyst and chain of cysts in existence 15 months ago with recall for 3 month review. Static. 12 month review has shown a growth in the dominant cyst by 1cm and additional cysts on scan.
Left breast hypoechoic solid mass there 12 months ago. not noted as changed but new cyst set up adjacent to it.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

In your case you do have what we call fibrocystic breast disease. This can be a challenge for a patient as well as doctors. Our imaging studies are very sensitive these days and very minor changes can be noted. These minor changes typically lead to an increase in procedures including biopsy.

In your case I do not think there needs to be any type of biopsy of the right breast. The left breast however would be a consideration for biopsy related to the hypoechoic area.

In your case I would suggest that you try and find a local specialized breast Center. These centers have a physicians for very experienced in dealing with this type of particular problem. In good hands they will be with the file you over a long period of time.

Also your family history is important but at this time I do not see any indication for any additional procedures.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert