Owl Image

Missing period. Pregnancy test negative. Should I be concerned?

Owl Image
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Question
Hi, so my gf already missed her period for 7 or 8 days. Her period should start on 13th january and havent started yet. Today, 22nd XXXXXXX she took urine pregnancy test and its negative. Can we rely on this result?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Since your girl friend's periods are already 7-8 days overdue when she did the test, we can rely on the test.
To be doubly sure, she can repeat the test with a highly sensitive pregnancy test strip 10 days post her due date of periods with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. This is best if done with a morning sample of urine.
In case the repeat test comes negative and the periods do not start till then, the causes of delayed periods need to be explored which include-
Hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause after the pregnancy is ruled out.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.