Missed period for two months. What are the chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: hi.my girlfriend an i havent had sex since before halloween,tho she has missed her last 2 periods.could there be a possibility she is pregnant.i knw she was stressed abt work coming up to xmas time but 2 in a row has worried me. she is 23 an average build.have u any ideas??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
If she has missed her two periods in a row then the possibility of pregnancy is there which should be ruled out first of all. She can do a urine test using a test kit available at all the pharmacies.
The other reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause after the pregnancy is ruled out.
Please ask her to visit her gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in case she is not pregnant so that treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
But how would it be possible if we didnt have sex since august??
Also if she not pregnant r them other problems very serious??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you did not have sex since August, then pregnancy is not likely. The other common cause is a hormonal disturbance. All the causes i have mentioned are not serious and can be treated if diagnosed timely.
Please do not worry and ask her to consult a gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.