Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Medicine to cure psychogenic polydipsia?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5538 Questions
Could you tell me the names of drugs that can be used to cure psychogenic polydipsia. I was on irbesartan for many months for psychogenic polydipsia until I developed dry cough. I went off irbesartan for a month and the cough went away. Now my water consumption has gone up by a litre . So could you name some drugs which would treat the syndrome.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

A water intake of 3.5 liters would not cause any problems, especially if your kidney functions are normal.

However, if you are unable to restrict fluid intake, loop diuretics such as furosemide are useful (as this increases water excretion via urine).

Other medications that have been found to be useful are antipsychotics (such as clozapine, risperidone and olanzapine), and demeclocycline.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor