MRI showed mild chronic ischemic microvascular changes. What does this mean?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 53 years old and had an MRI by a neurologist which indicates that I have "Mild chronic ischemic microvasular changes. What does this mean exactly and can it effect cognitive processes even though it is only "mild"
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later

Thanks or the query.

You can relax. This is seen in most of the elderly patients in our practice. In the absence of diabetes or hypertension they are of no significance. And they have no effects on cognition.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan