Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Leg covered with poison oak. Having itching and swelling. Using antibiotic wound. How do I treat?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6248 Questions
My leg is 1/2 covered from poison oak/suma/or ivy? I am in my first week and the blistering has stopped. all looks pinkish with some oozing here and there. The itching has also stopped when taking a hot bath. The only thing that bothers me now is the swelling. since I am on my feet all day the swelling is mostly in my calf,foot and ankle. Is this normal? how should I treat the swelling? I'm using triple antibiotic cream on my wounds every night after a bath and the next morning.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 30 minutes later
Thanks for the query.
Swelling is common as there is inflammation. It will be better if you take an anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen. Oral steroid may also be required as you have got this swelling from an allergic reaction. Take benadryl and Keep applying the cream, it will protect you from infection.
Let me know if you have any doubt.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor