Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Knees hit temples after jumping. Having swelling on temples, hard to open jaw. What can be done to heal it?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions

Almost two weeks ago I took a a hard wreck on my snowboard after jumping off about a 60' cliff. Upon impact both of my knees hit both temples pretty hard. I didn't black out but am experiencing some odd symptoms a few weeks later.

About a week after the crash my left temple became swollen and it was hard for me to open my jaw any wider than 2 fingers. Now two weeks after the crash the swelling has gone down for the most part but I still have a large knot on my left temple and am still unable to open my jaw further than two fingers. Attempting to open any further causes mild pain and soreness in my left temple.

Do I need to just give it some time to heal or are there things I can do at home to help get the jaw opening further and the knot on the temple to go away? I don't have health insurance so I can't afford to go see anyone.

Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The stiffness and the swelling seem to be due to a muscle injury causing a muscle spasm. Such pain and stiffness usually goes away in 3-4 weeks. Till then you can start taking a mild pain killer like Motrin every 8 hours. Do a hot fomentation in the area thrice daily.
You can also get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your physician for a better relief.
In case the movement of the jaw remains restricted, then it is best to get an X-ray of the area done to rule out any bony injury.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor