Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

166 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is wisdom tooth extraction necessary for removal of food stuck between teeth?

Answered by
Dr. Honey Arora


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 12730 Questions

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
As food gets stuck between upper wisdom tooth and its next tooth, my dentist has recommended Wisdom tooth extraction. He has also informed that this will involve surgery and a cut in bone. Would like to take your second opinion. Is Wisdom tooth removal recommended or is there any way to save the tooth?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wisdom tooth extraction is a better option.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query..

Well, wisdom tooth is a rudimentary tooth .

It means that wisdom tooth has no role in chewing or any other functions in mouth.

So in case if it is causing any problems it is better to get it removed.

As it is a rudimentary tooth there is no special need to save it.
So do not worry.

Also if you still wish to save the wisdom tooth please send me the x ray of the wisdom tooth and it's adjacent tooth so that I can advise you more precisely..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Wisdom tooth extraction

doctor1 MD

Hi My daughter had her 4 wisdom teeth removed last thursday. Bottom ones were stitched top ones removed unstitched. We have kept soft foods up, antibiotics, painkillers ice packs, clean teeth after each meal and bath in warm salt water, but...

doctor1 MD

Behind tonsil is tonsil colored tissue Was in doctor yesterday she said nothing looks inflamed and looks normal. It just feels like tonsils are swollen. Have post nasal drip and allergies too. Is this part of tonsil?

doctor1 MD

i had my 4 wisdom teeth plus 4 more teeth removed 2 weeks ago under general anesthetic , since then i have felt rubbish in myself, the day after my surgery my nose starting running constantly which was thin and clear in colour,as the days have gone by it seemed to get worse i then got a sore throat and i feel chesty, my nose is still running but it has now become really thick and green n i can feel it in my throat as if bits of mucus are stuck there even after i swallow , i didnt have much of an appetite after my surgery, but now am not interested in food at all, as today is the 3rd day i havent eaten anything at this normal after this type of surgery?

doctor1 MD

Hi, my mother in law has been complaining of shortness of breath for over roughly 3 months now. She had her wisdom teeth removed last week in May. I was with her the June 20th-25th and she had shortness of breath, and in pain. She went to the doctor several times the last few months to find out what was wrong. Her blood work and everything came back okay. She would feel better one day, then bad the next. Last week she called an ambulance because she could not breath. She was in so much pain they put her on a ventilator and medically induced coma . Monday her heart rate was at 90, they did dyalsis Tuesday evening and she died Wednesday morning. They said she had some sort of pneumonia ... I do not understand? She was a very happy, outgoing, healthy lady. She had high blood pressure a long time ago... but lost weight and got it down right away. She had been to so many doctors the last 9 weeks... It is hard to believe she just had pneumonia... wouldn t they of found this doing basic test when a patient comes in complaining of Shortness of breath . Can someone help me get some answers? I feel terrible because how this turned out does not seem right.

doctor1 MD

HI, I'm 24 years old and had my 4 wisdom teeth removed Monday, july 8th, so this is now my 3rd day after surgery, and I am experiencing more pain around one area than the others. When I swallow I get pain/sting where my lower left wisdom tooth was, and there is also a little flap of skin that looks like its on or next to my second molar. Could this be dry socket? its not unbearable pain but it is very uncomfortable, especially in that one spot. Besides that, I just have very bad swelling. thanks.

doctor1 MD

hi. I had 2 wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago. the upper left one was out so that was easy. the lower left one was impacted so there was cutting in order to remove. all went well but I have been experiencing a bad smelling brown fluid oozing from the lower left. also all the teeth in the lower left gets sensitive and hurts especially after I brush and rinse. the last of my dissolvable stitch came out this morning. is this normal? on pain killers and antibiotics.
also prior to extraction there was a slight open pocket by the lower left tooth and when I clean it out this oozing has the same bad smell.