Ask a Dentist   »  

Is wisdom tooth extraction necessary for removal of food stuck between teeth?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2018
May 2018
Excellent

Dentist
Question
Hello Doctor,
As food gets stuck between upper wisdom tooth and its next tooth, my dentist has recommended Wisdom tooth extraction. He has also informed that this will involve surgery and a cut in bone. Would like to take your second opinion. Is Wisdom tooth removal recommended or is there any way to save the tooth?
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wisdom tooth extraction is a better option.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Well, wisdom tooth is a rudimentary tooth .

It means that wisdom tooth has no role in chewing or any other functions in mouth.

So in case if it is causing any problems it is better to get it removed.

As it is a rudimentary tooth there is no special need to save it.
So do not worry.

Also if you still wish to save the wisdom tooth please send me the x ray of the wisdom tooth and it's adjacent tooth so that I can advise you more precisely..

Regards.