question-icon

Is vitiligo caused by inheritance?

default
Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014
Question: Hi doctor.My name is XXXX.I wanted to ask one doubt regarding Vitiligo.Recently have had a marriage proposal from a girl whose family has vitiligo disease history.As far the girl is concerned she doesnt have vitiligo but her maternal grandfather has vitiligo.Also more information is her Maama's (i mean brother of her mother) daughter also had vitligo symptons but it got treated.So my question are there chances that the girl whose proposal has come will get vitiligo in future?Or will the children which i will have with her : will they can get vitiligo.Please help !
doctor
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Chances are minimal if at all

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

Vitiligo is apparently caused by inheritance of multiple causal genes simultaneously, possibly in different combinations in different people, plus exposure to environmental risk factors or triggers that are not yet known. Therefore, no one can accurately predict the chances that the girl in question would get vitiligo in future. In fact I would say that, no one can predict who gets vitiligo and in most of the cases there is no family history.

Approximately 20% of vitiligo patients have a family member with the same condition (the rest 80% don't).

However, only 5% to 7% of children will get vitiligo even if a parent has it.

Moreover, half of those with vitiligo develop it before the age of 20, and about 95% before age 40.

Therefore, as the girl does'nt have vitiligo the chances are she never will.

Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 9463 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

189 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Is vitiligo caused by inheritance?

Brief Answer: Chances are minimal if at all Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome back to healthcaremagic I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query. Vitiligo is apparently caused by inheritance of multiple causal genes simultaneously, possibly in different combinations in different people, plus exposure to environmental risk factors or triggers that are not yet known. Therefore, no one can accurately predict the chances that the girl in question would get vitiligo in future. In fact I would say that, no one can predict who gets vitiligo and in most of the cases there is no family history. Approximately 20% of vitiligo patients have a family member with the same condition (the rest 80% don't). However, only 5% to 7% of children will get vitiligo even if a parent has it. Moreover, half of those with vitiligo develop it before the age of 20, and about 95% before age 40. Therefore, as the girl does'nt have vitiligo the chances are she never will. Regards