Is vitamin-D level of 24 a cause for concern?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been taking 2200Iu vit D and 300my calcium my vit D level is 24 and calcium is 10.4 what does this indicate?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue vitamin D supplements, can discontinue calcium

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. A level of 24 ng/mL of vitamin D is close to the lower limit of the normal range, but still not considered out of the normal range; for this reason I would recommend continuation of the vitamin D.

As for the calcium level of 10.4 mg/dL, your levels are well within the normal range and so there is no reason to worry about this, and you may even stop taking the calcium supplements.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.